In Art Inspiration

Carsten Höller: Decision

Ok, so I'm probably more excited about this blog post than I should be but that was because the place that I'll talk more about in the blog post was really THAT cool! I love art. There, I said it. I love it so much that I decided to go to a really cool interactive art exhibition as part of my 18th birthday celebrations. Yep, the big 1 8. Honestly I still look about 15 soo... I can pay less for the bus yay! Aha I'm really joking. But I'm not joking when I  say that a woman, who was working at the exhibition, had to ask one of my friends and I whether we were over the age of 15 because for one of the activities  you have to be 15 and over. That was honestly such a funny moment! So I really wanted to share my experience on visiting this exhibition with you guys.

This is the Carsten Höller: Decision Exhibition at the Hayward Gallery


Upon near arrival, you see this massive building in the middle of London with two gigantic slides coming out of it. That's when you know that you're there. 




There are lockers available for you to put your stuff in although I recommend that you at least take your phone with you when you go into the actual exhibition to take photos of the many amazing and weird things. You'll be somewhat surprised to know that you don't have to put £1 into the locker for it to work. Simply look for a locker with a key, put your stuff in, take the key and you're on your way.



At times, the tunnels seem to have a weird effect on your phone's camera which, to me, makes it look all the more interesting and fascinating but to others it may just look like a really out of focus photo. Which I promise it isn't aha.



The basis of Höller's exhibition is 'Decisions' and you are confronted with one straight away on arrival. Two doors greet you and you have to choose which one you will go into. These doors then lead to dark and small tunnels that go from hardly any light to no light at all! This was honestly my favourite part of the experience as my friends and I had to feel for the walls and find a way out. 






Coming out of the tunnel, you are greeted with giant dissected mushrooms that move when you push a handle. 



There is also a room that features a lot of pills that are swept together to form a circle and you are asked to consume the contents of the pill (which you don't have to). I actually just took mine home but judging from one of my friends who tried it, it didn't really taste of anything but it had a placebo effect on you.







These are robotic beds that roam the many rooms of the gallery after hours and you can even rent a bed for the night. How cool is that!?



I just thought I's squeeze a bit of information about Höller into this blog post because it just wouldn't be fair to talk about his work without actually talking about him. Carsten Höller is a Belgian artist who lives and works in Sweden. He is known for his contemporary art and in his work he usually creates situations that allows exhibition visitors to experiment on themselves making you question familiar perceptions. A lot of his work features 3D films, flashing lights, games,narcotics, slides and eye and sensory equipment.




Along one side of the corridor, there are TV's with each one featuring a video of a woman talking. Each woman speaks a different language and this was interesting because on the other side of the corridor was the twin of the woman. So basically, each woman was talking directly to her twin sister if that makes sense.


Is it weird that there is a giant die in the middle of the room? Is it also weird that you can enter it? Nope, nothing is too weird for Höller.



This part of the exhibition is on the roof of the building. You get given, what I can only describe as, big, weird, goggle looking things that make you see everything upside down which is scary at first but you soon get used to it and then you even beg to to keep them on for a little longer.





After the long wait I can say that it was definitely worth going on this. It may seem daunting at first but once you're up there, you really do feel on top of the world!










To get out of the exhibition you have to go through this amazing slide and it was just a very fun way to end the day.


At the end of the day I can honestly say that I had an absolutely amazing time and did not want to leave!


I didn't want to go into too much detail about the exhibition because I really recommend that you go there and see for yourselves. You honestly won't regret it! The exhibition finishes really soon so why not go there as a last minute summer escape? (for those of you who are still on holiday) or go at a weekend as a way of relaxation and fun after the busy week at work or school.


Isaiah 43:19



-JVA

Related Articles

11 comments:

  1. It looks like such a fun exhibit! If I had the time to pop over to London - I would do it in a heartbeat just to see this!!

    ps Happy birthday sweet x

    farouchefox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg this actually looks so cool, I love that you have to leave through a slide. Bet you had a fab day, happy belated birthday!

    The Velvet Black | UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha same and I did! Thank you so much :) x

      Delete
  3. I totally love your style, you can mix and match everything.
    Alice Cerea,
    BABYWHATSUP.COM

    ReplyDelete
  4. The exhibition looked amazing - I'm trying to squeeze in a visit before it closes on Sunday!
    Hannah Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do! It's really good :) x

      Delete
  5. Beautiful photos! <3

    http://www.abigailalicex.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great place. Nice photos♥
    chocolateandsunset.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds really fun! I'm sure you had a amazing time.
    Good vibes, Fox
    check out my latest Vlog
    -www.wanderlife.tv

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos!

    XX

    http://www.floortjeloves.com
    http://www.facebook.com/floortjeloves

    ReplyDelete