In Art

9 Interesting Artists


First of all, I want to apologise for not uploading a new blog post in what seems like forever. My only excuse is essays, essays, essays. At uni, it comes to the point where all of a sudden it's the last week before Easter which means that there are deadlines. But, I'm on Easter holiday now so I'll try my best to get loads of blog posts written up. The truth is that I've actually got loads of drafts that I need to find time to edit.

Check out my "Blog Post Categories" page above to see links to all of my blog posts! I have around 60 blog posts but I'm aware that some of you may not be able to view that as easily as I would want you guys to see them.

But lets get into the actual reason why I am writing this blog post!
Recently, for art, I've been looking at loads and loads and loads of artists for inspiration and, while doing this, I have stumbled upon some that have inspired me so much that I felt the need to write a blog post about them and share them with you guys. I also realise that I haven't upload an "art-related" blog post in ages so....here it it is!


#1 Guy Laramée 
 About the artist & their work: During his 30 years in practice, Laramée has done many things such as theatre writing, directing, sculpture, installation and painting. Wow! the guy has done A LOT. He states that the constant theme in his practice is the "erosion of cultures". I have taken particular interest in his books with the landscapes which he created in and on them, out of all his works. To me, it shows the viewer hope and emphasises how something that is seemingly lifeless has the power to be something else, something that will have a great impact on someone. A book has the power to teach, educate and empower an individual yet, at the same time, Laramée cleverly making the book look somewhat eroded gives a double meaning to this work, the other meaning being that everything will eventually go back to nothing. What could have been, has ceased to exist.


#2 MyeongBeom Kim

About the artist & their work: Myeongbeom creates installations of surreal situations where he usually mixes two very different objects and so seems to question, well everything. He plays with themes of life and growth which he sometimes blends and at other times juxtaposes. They often look like transitions that have been frozen in time and, in an often unconventional way, he creates imaginary scenarios which make the viewer re-evaluate the role nature plays in our lives and how humans use it to make something completely different. At the same time this abuses nature to some extent. This is also something that I have been looking at for my final art piece but I won't go into all that now. Maybe I'll save that for another post aha.


#3 Henrique Oliveira

About the artist & their work: First of all, I love, love, love his work. I just felt like I had to put that out there aha. Before Oliveira created work like the ones above, he primarily painted on canvas but his father, who had a woodworking shop, may have helped to initiate his love for wood. The colours of his wood installations all depend on how much the wood has aged and due to the bends and curves of the wood, it has a certain fluid effect which makes me think of the waves in the sea. At the same time, the wood also reminds me of veins, and the room in which his work is could be seen as the body. It's as though his work is desperately trying to reach every corner of it. I would totally love to see his work in an exhibition, wouldn't that just be so cool to see?



#4 Stev'nn Hall

About the artist & their work: Clouds are so beautiful yet so damn hard to paint (I say this from experience), so when I saw Hall's work I was honestly mind blown. I found out that he apparently paints real places that remind him of his past but he alters them. His process to create these beautiful paintings include scratching, embellishing the image, and staining to name a few. He seems to create a utopia-like place which I can only wish I would ever be able to see in real life.



About the artist & their work: He's a contemporary artist who uses elements of architecture and sculpture to confuse and manipulate the way the viewer sees things by making it do things that it wouldn't be seen as doing. There is something so fascinating yet ghostly and slightly scary about his work which I really, really like. This truly draws the attention of the viewer.
About the artist & their work: Barboza, who was influenced by her grandmother who always created handmade pieces, uses yarn and wool to handcraft landscapes that seem to spill out (mainly out of an embroidery hoop). This gives her work a sense of freedom to break out of the norms and to be free-flowing which, like Oliveria, reminds me of waves in the water which go in any direct that they wish to take. Her work links the idea of man-made things (in this case knitting) and the nature which she creates through knitting. This reinforces the idea of man recreating nature.


#7 Riusuke Fukahori
About the artist & their work: Click on the link and watch the video because I can tell you now that it will answer half the questions I myself had when looking at Fukahori's work. Fukahori uses resin to create 3D looking paintings and I think that his method gives his work such an amazing effect! What I understand as being his method is that he pours layers of resin into containers and paints layers of the fish on each layer to achieve the 3D effect. I've never seen anyone use this method before so I'm really happy that there are artists out there who are not afraid to try something completely new and different not knowing what the outcome will be half the time.


About the artist & their work: Glajcar creates tunnels out of giant pieces of torn paper which totally changes the way we see paper. Looking at paper we see a 2D object yet Glajcar takes this 2D object and manipulates us (in a good way!) to give it depth and make it all of a sudden seem 3D. I love how there is a juxtaposition of the harshly ripped parts of the paper and the straight outer sides. The cave-like structures, although scary looking, almost seem to tempt you to try and go inside although Glajcar makes sure that you don't go through with your temptation by having the artworks suspended in the air.


 About the artist & their work: Last but most definitely not least, Cox. He creates art that is "distinctive and intricate, yet in its truest sense, uncomplicated". As seen from his work above, Cox takes complex looking frames and then finds tree branches to blend with the frame. Unlike many of the artists in this post, he makes the link between something that is man-made and something that is smooth quiet smooth which may portray how he views the two. His process involves woodworking and sculpting the objects to make them seem naturally fused together. He sources all of his materials himself ensuring that each frame is unique and meaningful.



Which artist was your favourite?



Proverbs 18:10


-JVA

Related Articles

1 comments: